Build UK Small & Medium Trade Association Meeting – Follow Up
To: Build UK Small & Medium Trade Associations
Thanks to all those of you who joined us for the Small & Medium Trade Association meeting on 20 October.
We agreed to follow up on a number of points as set out below and, if you have any questions or would like further information in relation to any of them, please just let me know.
Recognising Trade Associations
- Build UK has begun to look at how we can recognise the value of our Trade Association members, both in terms of auditing their members and raising standards across their specialist sectors, and an initial group of Trade Association members that carry out an independent assessment of their members will be attending a meeting of Build UK’s Contractor member Supply Chain Directors at the start of November.
- If any of you currently undertake an independent ‘third party’ audit of your members, could you please let me know and provide a brief summary of the process as soon as possible.
Common Assessment Standard
- The list of organisations using the Common Assessment Standard can be found on the Build UK website.
- Six of our Trade Association members are now accepting the Common Assessment Standard as part of their membership audit scheme. If anyone else is interested in doing this as another step towards reducing duplication for your members, I would be happy to talk you through the process.
- The next phase of the building safety regime, which came into effect from 1 October, applies to all new buildings, with additional requirements for Higher Risk Buildings. We are regularly updating our guide to reflect the secondary legislation and guidance published, and the next update will be in November.
- Build UK has worked with CITB to develop a free e‐learning course – Fire Safety in Buildings – to ensure everyone involved in the construction and maintenance of buildings understand the need for effective compartmentation and the implications of breaching or interfering with fire protection measures.
- A reminder that your members have access to a number of helplines and services which provide free advice on issues ranging from contracts and disputes to employment law and health and safety.
Future Meetings & Events
- Networking Event – Wednesday 1 November from 6:00pm – Buffini Chao Deck at The National Theatre (SE1 9PX)
- All Member Forum – Tuesday 7 November from 8:30am to 9:30am – Zoom
- Small & Medium Trade Association Meeting – Tuesday 30 April from 11:00am to 12:00pm – The Tile Association in Stone (ST15 0HG)