Running from 6-7 October 2020, the virtual conference has been organised to discuss the industry’s role in ‘building the sustainable world of tomorrow’ – the focus and title of the two-day event.
The conference follows the milestone announcement last month (September) of the GCCA’s Climate Ambition 2050, which outlines the industry’s aspiration to deliver society with carbon neutral concrete by 2050.
Dinah McLeod, GCCA Chief Executive said: “Our global conference provides a great opportunity to discuss the next steps in achieving our ambition to drive down the CO2 footprint of concrete, the world’s most used material after water. Concrete is crucial to building the sustainable and prosperous world of tomorrow, and how we achieve that is at the heart of our discussions.
“We have gathered some of the best and brightest minds within the industry and from key stakeholders to address this vital challenge.”
Moderated by renowned broadcaster Gavin Esler, the conference included a keynote presentation from Dr. Fatih Birol, Executive Director of the International Energy Agency on industry transition to a low carbon future, with key contributions over the two days including Pratima Rangarajan, Chief Executive of OGCI Climate Investments, and high-level stakeholder organisations including WeMeanBusiness, and the IUCN Global Business and Biodiversity Programme, as well as cement and concrete industry CEOs.
Delegates also discussed health and safety, best practices and reporting, thought leadership and resilience, and the role of innovation in building a more sustainable world.
Dinah McLeod added: “The conference showed the progress we have made on our global industry roadmap which will define the actions our industry will take towards delivering a carbon neutral future. Our roadmap outlines the need for cooperation with governments, policymakers, stakeholders and other industries to achieve this important ambition for the world.
The Conference coincides with the GCCA’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held on the 8 October.
A full list of GCCA conference speakers is listed below. For more information please visit the conference website.
Full list of GCCA conference speakers:
- Dr. Fatih Birol, Executive Director of the International Energy Agency
- Pratima Rangarajan, Chief Executive, OGCI Climate Investments
- Jan Jenisch, Chief Executive, LafargeHolcim
- Daniel Balthasar, Senior Portfolio Manager and Head of Basic Industries & Utilities, Norges
- Mahendra Singhi, Managing Director and Chief Executive of Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Limited
- Dr. Dominik Von Achten, Chief Executive, Heidelberg Cement
- María Mediluce, CEO, We Mean Business
- Gerard Bos, Director of IUCN Global Business and Biodiversity Programme
- Araceli Fernandez Pales, Senior Energy Analyst, International Energy Agency